We’re looking for a Director of Communications who constantly asks questions... and then finds out the answers.
Put your creativity, heart, and smarts to work by parsing (pun-intended!) the real story about audience attention from the billions of data points we collect from the best digital media companies in the world. We want someone who can connect what is with what could be - this is a job where you'll put your imagination to work!
You will drive communications strategy, media relations, executive speaking opportunities and external messaging. Come join us in our New York City office and get support from the VP of Marketing and the potential to grow your own team.
Day to day, you will:
- Translate our internal priorities into an executable and measurable communications strategy
- Own our point of view on key topics in the market
- Evangelize our story internally to ensure that everyone on the team applies it to their external communications
- Use your network. You know those great media contacts you've built up over the years? You get to work with them and lean on them to guide you along the way and create even better stories.
- Write, write, write: you'll create and manage contributed content strategy (hint, we love Medium!)
- Put our execs out there: Create an executive speaking plan that reinforces our company narrative
- Work directly with C-suite to make sure that their vision is getting translated into company reality
Our highest hope is that you:
- Have a strong grasp of the human psyche: you understand what makes people tick and what excites them, and can use your insight to tell stories about our company
- Constantly ask questions about what is, how it came to be, and how this might differ from the expected input or outcome
- Can thrive in a start-up by focusing on how little steps will create a long-term strategy. Rome wasn’t built in a day: but what will you do each day to actively impact our goals?
- Understand big impact from small impact, and steer toward the former
- Tell other people’s stories in a way that captures who they uniquely are and elevates them beyond what even they thought was possible
- Build relationships with everyone: internal team members, external influencers, and key players, no matter where they are
- Communicate effectively. It should go without saying (but you never let that happen!)
- Understand the bigger picture of how your role impacts the company and other departments.
- Display a high level of empathy and emotional intelligence.
Let's talk brass tacts. We think you'll be successful here if you have:
- 4+ years experience in brand marketing, media, public relations or related role
- Demonstrated success at building a high-growth leading brand
- An impressive portfolio of successful PR placements
- Names of people who can vouch for your amazing abilities off the top of your head
- A no bullshit factor, with the ability to tell people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Experience making data come to life
- Knowledge of how PR/Comms integrates with other functions internally, including marketing, SEO, our website, product marketing, and customer success
And it’s a major bonus if you:
- Are already passionate about how the Internet has changed how people direct their attention
- Have experience managing external agencies
- Love remote teams and culture